Have you got a PPL for your salon

A salon in Cleethorpes has been order to pay £1637 in legal costs after playing music in their salon without a proper license. This makes me wonder how many other salons in the UK are playing music or the radio in the salon without license fees.

Anyone who plays recorded music is required to pay for a Phonographic Performance License or a PPL. So do you need a license? If you play recorded music or music videos in public, you will almost certainly be legally required to have a PPL licence.

Established in 1934, PPL exists to ensure that those who invest their time, talent and money to make music are fairly paid for their work. PPL issues licences to hundreds of thousands of businesses and organisations from all sectors across the UK playing recorded music and/or music videos in public. These can range from bars, nightclubs,shops and hotels to offices, factories, gyms, schools, universities and local authorities. PPL also licenses music suppliers to copy recorded music for services such as in-store music systems, jukeboxes, compilations for exercise classes and in-flight entertainment systems.

Here are a few questions and answers involving a PPL for your salon:

How much does a PPL cost?

The cost of a licence depends on several factors including the type and size of the business, the activity and how you play recorded music.

How do I get a PPL

Apply online for a licence or call us today on 020 7534 1070. If you require a radio broadcast licence, please call 020 7534 1423.

What happens to the license fee?

All licence fees collected (less PPL running costs) are distributed as payments to PPL members – the performers and rights holders of recorded music.