Summer holiday packing on a budget!
We all love a summer holiday or a long weekend away, however when you look online the flight price looks great until you add in all the extra costs, one big cost is your checked in suitcase. Why not cut back and only take hand luggage?! I know what you’re thinking a week away in the sun with just hand luggage, are you crazy! But I assure you it CAN be done and here’s how!
- Luggage- first look at your airline see what size bag you are allowed to take, most airlines allow 56cm long x 45cm wide x 25cm deep, (Ryanair is a bit less!) however this is a good size, and you just need to plan.
- Toiletries- you are allowed to take up to 100ml per liquids and pastes in a re-sealable plastic bag (about the size of a small freezer bag) – 20cm x 20cm. But think ahead I’m sure you can use a shampoo and conditioner in one for a week, buy your sun cream when your arrive abroad, you normally use it all in the week anyway, take tinted moisturiser for the week instead of moisturiser and liquid foundation separate! Plus remember if you use power makeup/eye shadow that doesn’t have to go in your plastic bag.
- Hair care- most hotels have a hair dryer so check ahead, take mouse instead of straightens and have waving hair on holiday or take straighteners but only take a small comb or folding hair brush, it will save lots of space.
- Shoes- This may be your weakness, if you want to take heals, take wedges and wear with jeans to travel in, they look great dressed down or up with a maxi dress. Then take 1 pair of flip flops for the beach and 1 pair with a bit of sparkle on for evenings.
- Clothing- plan ahead stick to the concept of the capsule wardrobe. Mix and match your clothes wear a skirt early in the week dressed up with a sparkly top then down grade it for beach wear later in the week. Wear bulky clothes on the plane, jeans, long tops, jumpers, and jacket. Pick light weight items that won’t crease easy.
- Once you’ve planed what to take packing technique is key, I tend to roll items or fold them around larger items.
- Technology- think ahead can your book, music, tour books, games be all downloaded onto on item like your phone or tablet.
- Plan, Plan, Plan- know your airline restrictions! Don’t get caught out at the airport, check the weight of your bag, make sure your bag is the correct size, are you allowed your carry on plus a handbag? Know these answers this will save you lots of money and still have a fab break away!